Thursday 9 August 2012

Kompany: City must look forward


Vincent Kompany has urged Manchester City to put last season's dramatic title triumph behind them and focus on the future.

 City became champions for the first time in 44 years when Edin Dzeko and Sergio Aguero scored injury-time goals against QPR on the final day of the 2011-12 campaign.

 But club captain Kompany, who recently signed a six-year contract, said: "One of the main things for me is to not keep looking back at this game for too long.

 I just want to move on." The Belgium centre-back became City's first title-winning captain since Tony Book in 1968 and also told the club's website: "The last game was a game that will remain a very strong part of our history. I think there will be people speaking about this game for 50, 100 years to come.

 "But in the same way I have enjoyed it, I am looking forward already. But this is over now. It is about what lies ahead."

 After a 35-year wait for silverware, City have won two trophies in as many seasons. They were FA Cup winners in 2011 before lifting the league title in May.

 "You lay down the foundation and if you do it right then you can be successful for a long time," Kompany said.

 "That is the aim. But it is not for me to just keep saying it or keep thinking about it. I think there is so much more great stuff ahead of us and that is what interests me."

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Hot Sonakshi Sinha, Car Price in India